ASCII Selfie



     For my Digital Media class, I was tasked to use a software to transform a selfie of me into digital art. This is my picture compared to the digital image that was created by transforming it into an ASCII code, creating the image on the left. I love how the software was able to recode my image into code, being able to capture elements not seen within the original photo. Take for example the use of lighting within the image, showing the contrast between the highlights and shadows reflected upon my face. It is truly amazing to see a photograph be broken down, highlighting the simplicity and the complexity of the digital art form itself. 

    As I have studied films, I am just now realizing how I have actually underestimated the computer and the resources we have within this digital age that we live in. I favor classic cinema, the golden age of filmmaking in which the technology we have today was still only an idea. I, probably like most people, see the technological competency that artists like Hitchcock and Wells were operating at, and have thought that the beauty of those classic films cannot be captured in today's technologically advanced world. However, by exploring the works by Chuck Csuri, I almost think that the problem is that we are not utilizing the computer to it's true potential. Obviously, this is disregarding certain intellectuals or masters in certain fields, but the general public traditionally uses computers out convenience or necessity, but not for beauty. It could possibly be argued that as technology has gotten more advanced, we as a society, are limited to only a basic understanding of how the technology itself is able to be used. Take myself as an example; I am experienced in Premier Pro but I have a very limited knowledge to the full capabilities of my own device and the tools that are widely available. The way artists are able to manipulate technology into free expression; into things that most of us thought was impossible, shows how we under utilize technology, and therefore limit our own creativity as a result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I?

BW to Color